The Little Italy / NoLIta & Five Points Walking Tour
A Walking Tour of the Past and the Present
We will walk through Little Italy and Nolita and the area that was the infamous “Five Points” Neighborhood portrayed in the movie "Gangs of New York".
We will see a remaining landmark survivor (1 family, 2 story, Federal styled home) of a middle income artisan community that was here before Little Italy or the Five Points neighborhoods came into being.
We will also see surviving landmark institutional buildings along with interesting pictures and stories that will give us an insight into both neighborhoods past.
We will walk through "NoLIta" the new neighborhood emerging in the northern part of little Italy.
There are 20 stops that include 10 New York City Landmarks & 10 national landmarks.
I will talk about and show some famous landmark buildings - focusing on architecture plus the Irish and Italian history connected to both neighborhoods.
Both neighborhoods and all stops are fully discussed.
Some Highlights of the Tour are:
- The Puck Bldg. & its distasteful connection to Irish history
- The Original Saint Patrick Cathedral & Complex and some history of Little Italy and Five Points
- The Elizabeth Street Gardens and the space age is here to
- Church of the Most Precious Blood
- Landmark example of a typical Federal style, single family home that populated this early 19th century artisan neighborhood.
- Also the sites of: Ravenite Social Club - and the first, infamous Umberto's Clam House
- Find out about Farfariello the clown that lIttle Italy loved
- Find out about the Stabile Bank, a neighborhood bank
- Odd Fellows Hall and what it looked like when it was first built
- The First Central Police Headquarters Building In New York City
- Examples of ‘Old Law’ or ‘Dumbbell’ tenements and how they fit into the area’s history
- The Five Points site and the site of the old Brewery and the Five Points Mission
- Charles Dickens & tap dancing in the Five Points Neighborhook
- The site of and a picture of the Old Tombs prison
- Foley Square and who was Tom Foley?
- Find out about "Boss Tweed" and see the old "Tweed Courthouse"
- The Marble Palace and Alexander T. Stewart
- The site of the Collect Pond and how Paradise Square turned into the infamous Five Points neighborhood - and much more
About four hours long
Meet at: Southwest corner of Lafayette & Houston Street
The walking tour is given by Alfred Pommer a college graduate, an author, an informative native New Yorker and a Licensed New York City Guide,
#6 trains to Bleecker Street or N, R to Prince Street or F to Lafayette St.
who has spent over
26 years researching, creating and leading walking tours in Manhattan's many diverse neighborhoods.
Alfred Pommer has written four Manhattan guide books published by The History Press and Arcadia Publishing
"Exploring Gramercy Park and Union Square" "Exploring Manhattan's Murray Hill" "Exploring New York's SoHo"
"Exploring the Original West Village" This is a link to Alfred Pommer's author page at amazon.com
Interested in a Private Walking Tour" ?
Call: (212) 979-2388 for details www.nycwalk.com
Or : Click Here for advance ticket sales
Scroll down further for "The Five Points (Gangs of NY) Walking Tour"